Keith Wood

Keith Wood operated at Estevan Radio in 1958. It was a few months later that station was relocated to the Tofino Airport. Keith notes that the old spark transmitters were still on site, but not used.
Images are original size--will not get larger by clicking.
Operator Burns at Estevan's station. RCA AR88 general coverage receiver at top left.
Operator's position showing transmitters.
Photo from the top of the light tower. Center of photo is the fuel dump. Large building on the right is the power house. Power house was on the end of the operations building, just out of sight.
Robbie Robertson, Station Officer in Charge, standing on the plank road leading from the station to Hesquiat harbour.  Back in the 1930's the only way to safely navigate this road in the dark was to remove the truck's fenders and tilt the headlights right down.  This allowed the driver to see where the wheels were on the road.
Supplier of these photos, Keith Wood, at the operating position.
Supplies had to be off-loaded from the fortnightly Union Steamship freighter and rowed by long boat to Hesquiat for transport over the plank road to the Point. Person in the foreground is Ron, who was the station's maintenance man/truck driver.
George Ignace, a part time employee at Estevan. He was a well known and respected Hesquiat First Nations. He shows up in the Aitkens photos taken in the 1930's.
Des Davidge at the controls.
View of station from the lighthouse:  Bottom right - bachelor’s quarters in the original station building.  Directly above, the OIC’s house.  Middle left the radio station in the long section and powerhouse attached to the left.  Top left family housing.
The Tofino lifeboat that sometimes transported personnel to and from the station. It was built on a United States Coast Guard pattern. Keith's tagged the photo as Bamfield life boat, but I think that is in error. Both vessels were the same, but the Bamfield boat would have been well out of its area of operation if visiting Estevan Point.
Transmitting equipment

Closer view of the MEL transmitter.  One similar to this unit covered the 2 MHz band at VAK/Victoria.  Each channel had its own drawer.

Good view of the operating position.
Interior of the power house showing two diesel generator plants.  The two units operated turn about--one would be powering the radio station and the rest of the site's buildings, while the other would be off.  After a period of time (a week for example) the units would be switched about.
Two part time employees from the Hesquiat First Nation.
Operator's station:  (?) Burns. Marconi CSR-5 receiver in the top left, and an RCA AR88LF above his head.

Rough Radio

Ship to Shore Radio on the

West Coast of Canada  1900-70