Cameron, D.A.   Cameron is listed in the 1911 British Columbia Directory as an operator at Estevan. Cameron was a commercial land line telegrapher and was the first operator at Prince Rupert in 1910.  He was replaced by Jim Harker after a couple of months. Sometime between April 1/10 and March 30/12 he traveled to Cape Lazo from Victoria and back at a cost of $123.10 to the Crown. In that same time frame he traveled up to Prince Rupert (Digby) for $16 and his room and board while on the station was $18/mo.
Carrol, Olive   Operator at the Vancouver Japanese intercept station during World War 2. Went deep sea after the war.
Charrett, K.B.  Triangle Island operator in 1915.

Chisholm, Alex   Alexander Chisholm (b.1891 d.1971) was an antenna rigger for the west coast stations. Riggers have no fear of heights. They would erect masts, climb them and rig the aerial wires.  Gene Aitkens' diary mentions him fixing the Estevan Point aerials in July 1934. Photo is from 1956, his year of retirement.
Clark, W.(Bill) A.   Clark joined the wireless service in the 1911-12 period, most likely from the British Post Office. At Pachena in 1912-14. Bowerman lauds him and Guy Bennett for the early clearing the land at Pachena and creating gardens. Officer in charge at Estevan in 1916 receiving $92.50/mo.
Cobotar, J.   Operator at Comox in the 1960-70s era.

Coe, Ernie  During the Second World War he served in the Royal Canadian Navy in the North Atlantic and English Channel.  After the war, he went on to a career with the Federal Government, where he worked as a Radio Operator at various remote locations, Victoria (1952), Spring Island and Bull Harbour (1953). Later he worked as a Radio Inspector based in Kelowna and travelled throughout the BC interior.  (d. 2012) 
Kelowna Capital News
Cole, R.A. (Bob)   Resident of Estevan Point in the 1930's. Occupation unknown.
Comeau, P   Operator at Comox in the 50-60 period.
Cooper, Bill    Bill was an operator at Gonzales. Born in India of English parents. He led a chequered career, being deep sea as an operator for 18 months and worked at station KYA in San Francisco. He appears in Aitkens' photo album so Bill probably operated at the west coast wireless stations in the 1930's. Wife's name Helen (Cuthbert).
Cooper, F. F.   Larry Reid's book has him listed on November 05, 1923 as an operator, postings not listed.  (Victoria Times August 1926 item mentions a W.Cooper of the Victoria Wireless station attending a wedding. March 1928 notes a F.W. Cooper of the Gonzales Wireless Station.)
Cornish, Fred Henry   Cornish came from the UK around 1904 and originally worked as an assistant to Lee de Forest down in the States. He moved to Canada in 1911 and signed on with the Wireless Service. Larry Reid's book has him listed as an operator on November 05/1923. 1926 wages $1,696.42  Fred is operating at Estevan Point in 1926 and OIC Bull Harbor in 1927 to 1932.  Passed away at 62 in 1932.

Corriveau, Hector Felix   Corrie began his career as a radio direction finder operator (Cape Race and Canso) on the east coast during the first world war. Larry Reid's book mentions him as an operator on strength November 05, 1923. Operator at Point Grey in the 1920-23 period, according to Bowerman's notes. He was operating at the Estevan Point Wireless station in 1923 when Bowerman arrived there to be the Officer In Charge. Listed as an operator at Estevan Point in 1923 & 1924 and at Bull Harbor 1926 & 1927. He was the chief operator at Pachena in 1928. On October 26 1928 he and a station boy went for a hike along the edge a shore cliff, a common feature in the area, where he slipped and fell 30 feet onto the rocks below. A search party took 8 hours to reach him and found him with serious internal and head injuries (one report says a fractured skull). The lighthouse tender Estevan got him to Victoria on the 31st and a day later was taken to Vancouver. He died at age 34 years in Vancouver on February 1st 1930 from the effects of the fall. Left behind his wife Flora, a son and a daughter. In January 2011 his grand-daughter supplied a few of his photos which are located in the Photo Album area. 1926 wages $1,644.60
Cox, P.J.   Replaced McIntyre in 1912 at Ikeda. Queen Charlotte Islander item.
Cox, Ted   Joined the wireless service in the 1911-12 period, most likely from the British Post Office. 1939 newspaper clipping has him and his wife returning to Bull Harbor after a visit to Victoria.
Creer, J.D.   September 29, 1910 Victoria Times newspaper item mentions Creer (misspelled Preer) as the station manager at Triangle Island. He was noted as the operator who worked a new distance record--Honolulu. As the OIC at Triangle Island in 1912 he was earning $95/month. Shifted to Dead Tree in April 22, 1912, then down to Point Grey Nov. 22, 1912.  In 1912-16 he was at Point Grey as the First operator at $87.50/mo.
Crosby, Thomas Davis (Bill?)   Crosby (b.1884) came to Canada in 1911 from the UK. He was an experienced Royal Navy operator. In 1911 he is listed in the census as an operator at Pachena. Crosby is remembered as having a sharp temper. 1912 Federal accounts give him a $65/month salary.
Crowe, Len B.   Crowe was an operator at the downtown Vancouver station (VAB) in the Merchant's Exchange Building in 1923, under Officer in Charge Harker. Larry Reid's book has him listed as an operator on November 05, 1923. Wages in 1926 were $1,693.55. Crowe's name is on the 1933 Christmas card from Alert Bay. In 1940 he replaces Sid Jackson as the head of the radio inspection office in Kamloops but by late 1941 this office was closed and Crowe went to Vancouver Radio. In the late 1940's Len Crowe hired Larry Reid as a relief operator and sent him to Digby Island. Late in 1945 he replaced the retiring B.C. Supervising Radio Inspector, Walter Howard.
Curtis, Edward P.   The 1938 and 1939 Ed was an operator at Estevan Point. For a time in the 1960's he was the OIC at Spring Island LORAN station. Ed ended his career as a radio technician in the Victoria Electronics shop sometime around 1970. d.1990 
Dailey, O.   Operator at Comox in the 1960-70s era.
Daniels, G. F.    In 1924 Daniels was the first operator at the newly commissioned station at Merry Island lighthouse, off Sechelt, B.C. He transferred out in 1927 and was replaced by Pike. Larry Reid's book has him listed as an operator on November 05, 1923.

Daniel, Jim (James)   Came from the UK and joined the Service during the 1911-14 period. Listed at the fourth operator at Pachena in 1916. In the 1920-23 period he was at Point Grey. Shortly after 1923 he relieved Meiss at Estevan Point.  He is at Estevan Point in 1924, 1926 & 1927. His 1926 wages were $2,211.75. After eleven years at Lazo he moved to the downtown Vancouver station VAB in 1938, replacing Tommy Raine. 1949 news item shows him working at Victoria Radio. Eventually became a radio inspector.
Darbyshire, Jack. W.   1926 salary sheet shows Darbyshire received $1481.47 net pay.
Davies, Peter   He is listed in Larry Reid's book as an operator on November 05, 1923. Unknown what stations.
Davis, James    Davis (b.1858 England) was the lightkeeper on Triangle Island from 1910 to 1913. His wife Rose (b.1878) and their three daughters (Violet-b.1900, Ella-b.1902 and Mona-b.1905) accompanied him. The daughters were schooled by the radio operators. In later years Mona married Tom Morrison (not an operator) who went on to become the 1940's District Marine Agent for British Columbia.
Dawe, Herb   Joined as a radio technician in the 1911-12 period. Dawe is listed as the radio electrician who installed Alert Bay wireless. Alert Bay opened in the spring of 1913. Dawe was also an operator on Triangle Island and is shown at the left in a photo taken in 1914 on his departure to Digby Island. In July of 1915 Herb installed synchronous rotary spark at Triangle Island. By 1916 he is the construction foreman earning $1080. In 1922 Dawe helped install the higher powered transmitting equipment at the Digby Wireless and remained on as the station OIC. In the following months he came down with tuberculosis, took extended sick leave, and eventually retirement.
Dawe, H. R.   May be the same as the person above. Listed as an operator at Estevan Point in 1923.
Dawson, Frank W.    Dawson was an junior operator at the Triangle station in 1914. In 1916 he was listed as a junior at Triangle receiving $45/mo. His rank on January 1918 was RNCVR (Special) W/T operator.
Deacon, Alan J.   Larry Reid's book has him listed as an operator on November 05, 1923 and posted to Gonzales. His 1926 wages were $1,494.91 net. The Hammerer photo section has a 1932 message from Deacon at Pachena. A 1935 & 36 news items report him at Gonzales. In January 1938 he was posted to Copper Mine, N.W.T. (Nunavit) for a couple of years at least. OIC at Estevan in 1944. He served at Pachena, Cape Lazo and Digby during his time. Became a radio inspector at the end of his career.
DeMontezuma, Ricardo   Monty was an operator along the coast for many years, starting at Digby in 1953.
De Winter, S.   De Winter immigrated from Ireland in 1903. He worked with the Canadian Marconi Company and around 1910 joined the Dominion Wireless. He was the OIC at Estevan Point Wireless Station when Bowerman was there in 1911. As OIC he was making $1080/yr. The 1911 census confirms he was at Estevan with his wife Alice and daughter Alice J. A May 22, 1913 Daily Colonist notes he is the OIC at the Digby Island station and was relieved by Bowerman in 1914. He then left the wireless service and rejoined the Canadian Marconi Company. b.1878
Dewhurst, L. H.   Dewhurst is noted as an operator at Digby Island in 1910 with a salary of $70/mo. He assisted McIntyre in June 1910 with checking for a radio path between Prince Rupert and Stewart--none found.
Donaldson, D.J.   Operator at Dead Tree in the 1940's.
Doutre, (Dr?) Cecil   Dominion Superintendent of Wireless Stations for the Department of Marine and Fisheries in 1905. Came out to the West Coast in 1906 to determine the best sites for the proposed wireless stations. Back again to the coast in July 1907 to get the construction for the first five stations underway and by January 1908 all, except Cape Lazo, were operational. Cape Lazo was operational within a few months.  He was also the purchasing agent for the same department, which no doubt helped hurry the wireless project along.
   In 1909 he became the purchasing agent for the Department of Marine and Fisheries in Ottawa and C. P. Edwards replaced him as the new Dominion wireless superintendent.
Dundas, Ronald G.    Larry Reid's book has Dundas at Triangle Island as an operator in 1910. In that position he received $95/month. Dundas is listed as an operator at Ikeda Wireless Station in the 1911 census and was there in 1912. He was married in Victoria in September 1912. In 1915 he is recorded as being at Triangle making $75/month. He escaped Triangle and moved to Alert Bay where, in 1916, he is listed as the officer in charge. Dundas eventually transferred to Pachena and then left the wireless service in 1917 and worked with the Inland Water Transport section of the Royal Engineers.  January 1921 newspaper item shows him operating VAB in Vancouver.  (At the end of World War 1 Dundas moved to California and worked for San Francisco Telephone?) (b. 1885)
He stood 6'7"and grew up in Carron Hall, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
Daily Colonist March 3/16. - 1 form (N.I.D. 151) titled Naval Intelligence Monthly Return of Men-of-War sighted at Alert B.C. signed by R. G. Dundas dated Jan 1st 1915 stating that on Dec 19th the ships Holly Leaf, Ivy Leaf and illegible were spotted and that on Dec 21 Newington was seen.

Durkee, Ken M.   Durkee was a Point Grey operator during 1920-23 when Bowerman was stationed there as OIC. He and Bowerman transferred to Estevan at the same time in 1923. Still at Estevan in 1924. In 1924-25 he made long distance ship to shore records, one of which was working a vessel from Victoria to Sydney, Australia. He was also an early operator at the Pachena DF Station. Durkee left the Service in 1925 to obtain an engineering degree at Washington State University and eventually wound up in California working with General Electric. Larry Reid's book has him listed as an operator on November 05, 1923.
Dunn   Operator at Dead Tree in September of 1916.
Dyke, H.   Operator at Comox when Barrie was OIC, sometime after WW2.
Earle, L.H.   4th operator at Estevan in 1916 earning $2/day.
Echlin, Fred   Joined the wireless service in the 1911-12 period, most likely from the British Post Office. (May have been at Digby in 1913.)  In 1912 he was operating at Victoria and later moved to Cape Lazo. He went overseas in World War 1 and in November 1916 was killed in action.
Edmunds, Sid R.   Edmunds was on Triangle Island in 1914. Is listed as the 4th operator in 1916 pulling in $2/day. His rank on January 1918 was RNCVR (Special) W/T operator. Operator at Point Grey in the 1920-23 period.

Edwards, Charles Peter   Edwards was the chief operator on the Marconi trans-Atlantic service. He came to Canada at the behest of the Marconi Company in 1904 to oversee the building of the Marconi wireless stations in Nova Scotia. In 1909 he quit Marconi and joined the Department of Marine and Fisheries and became the Dominion's Superintendent of Wireless Stations in Ottawa, succeeding Cecil Doutre.
   He made several station inspection trips over the years to the west coast, July 1909 and December 1911 being two. In 1910 (before World War 1) all the
operators were put under the authority of the Naval Command. Edwards received the rank of Lt. Commander. This commission lasted until the end of hostilities. He represented Canada at many international radio conferences. In 1937 he became the head of the Air Services Branch of the newly formed Department of Transport, by 1941 he became a Deputy Minister of the DOT, and in 1948 became the Deputy Minister for Air within the DOT. In 1950 the Engineering Institute of Canada awarded him the "Julian C. Medal" for his work.
   He was a busy man as an examination of his traveling (railroad and steamship) expenses for the period April 1/10 to March 31/11 show:

April 6-19 Prince Rupert to Comox and Victoria, $50.80
April 23-30 Victoria to Ottawa, $79.20
May 6-8 Ottawa to Montreal, $20.45
May 17-22 Ottawa to New York, $71.79
May 26-28 Ottawa to Sorel, $18.50
July 18-Aug 16 Ottawa to New York, $75.50
Aug 25-Oct 5 Ottawa to Victoria and Bamfield, $323.85
Oct 6-30 Victoria to Cape Lazo, Comox and Vancouver, $123.05
Oct 31-Nov 3 Victoria to Prince Rupert, $41.00
Nov 5-16 Prince Rupert to Vancouver and on to Ottawa, $105.20
Jan 2-11 Ottawa to Halifax and Sydney, $114.00
Jan 27-31 Ottawa to Toronto, $38.95
Feb 15-17 Ottawa to Montreal, $20.40

Elridge, Philip M.    Phil was listed in a BC Directory as a radio operator at Estevan Point in 1928 through to 1937. His other stations were Bull Harbor, Victoria and Vancouver. His name appears on the 1933 station Christmas card. The Aitkens diary says he married Muriel McPhee, librarian, in 1935. He built his own dwelling at Estevan Point to house his bride, for some reason it was outside the Government's Estevan property. There are photos on this site of him and his buddy collecting lumber. In 1937 he went to the 'beacon' at Princeton BC. The 'beacons' were the new air navigation aid commonly called 'Radio Ranges'. He was transferred to Lethbridge range station as Officer in Charge succeeding Don McDougal and was appointed Assistant Technician soon after. He assisted Don in the maintenance of radio equipment in Alberta as well as installing new facilities on the North-west staging route. In 1945, he was transferred to Ottawa but in 1949 traded postitions with Technician C.W. Thomas of the Vancouver District. Since that time, he has performed the duties of Senior Technician on the west coast. (d. 1987)
Elliot, Sid   As a youngster Syd came from a town near Blackpool England and joined the Service around 1913. (Reid in his book says Elliot was in Victoria and operating as an amateur.) 1916 lists him as the 4th operator at Alert Bay. (See Bruce Restall's entry below). His rank on January 1918 was RNCVR (Special) W/T operator. He was in the process of boarding the FVP "Galiano" in November of 1918 as his transfer from Triangle Island Wireless had come through. His transfer was canceled at the last moment and he was saved from being lost on the "Galiano" when it foundered and went to the bottom a few hours later. July 1919 operating at Gonzales. Larry Reid's book has him listed on November 05/1923 as an operator. In 1927, 1928, 1929 & 1930 Syd was an operator at Estevan Point wireless. He was OIC at Alert Bay, shifting out in 1949 for Victoria Radio. Elliot retired in 1956 as the Officer In Charge of the Victoria station after 42 years of service. During those years he operated at the Pachena, Estevan, Digby, Dead Tree Point and Alert Bay wireless stations.
Ember, J.   A 1922 BC Directory lists Ember as a wireless operator at Cape Lazo.
Emmerson, Ernest  Radio operator on the FPV Howay.  Drowned off the west coast of Haida Guaii in September 1955.
Emmerson, R. G.   Larry Reid's book has him listed as an operator November 05, 1923. Times 1923-03-31 item has him exchanging Victoria with Harker at Lazo.  In 1926 his net wages were $1,906.  At Dead Tree in December 1927 (bear had raided his chicken coop). December 1938 Times article notes after eight years at Digby Island, latterly as chief, he is moving to Cape Lazo.  Previously he had spent five years at Dead Tree.
Evans, Robert L.   This from Evans' son in July 2013: "Bob was an operator on the coast from the mid 1940's to the 1960's, working at Dead Tree point, Bull Harbor, Point Grey (Vancouver), and then Pachena Point from about 1950 to 1955, where I started school by correspondence. We moved to Victoria in 1954, and Dad then worked at VAK in an office that still stands in the grounds of UVic. In the mid-1960's he was a radio inspector in Prince Rupert, before returning to Victoria in about 1967.

Carver, Clarence E.  Larry Reid's book has Carver listed on November 05, 1923 as an operator. He was the first operator at the small station on Lennard Island in 1923. (Another news item says he spent two years as the Tofino Lifeboat's radio operator, ending in 1925). The Lennard Island station closed down in November 1925 when he and George Gilbert laid a submarine telephone cable to connect Lennard Island to the Tofino lifeboat station. He then shifted up to Alert Bay for the 1925-27 period.  Amateur VE5EL in 1932.
    Carver family photo.
Carrol, Olive   Operator at the Vancouver Japanese intercept station during World War 2. Went deep sea after the war.
Charrett, K.B.  Triangle Island operator in 1915.