Nasadyk, G.   Operator at Comox in the 1950-70 era.

Neary, Jack   Neary came out to Canada with his brother, Tony.  He was an operator at Triangle Island (1918) when his brother's vessel, the FPV "Galiano",  sank.  He was not on duty so was spared receiving his brother's distress messages from the doomed ship.
Neary, "Tony" Michael John   Neary was born near Glasgow.  He studied at the British School of Telgraphy in London.  He first sailed with the Nelson Steamship Line and later with the Royal Mail Steam Packet Line.  In 1912 he joined the CPR and brought the Princess Sofia from the builders out to this coast. When war came he joined the Naval Service. He was the 33 year old wireless operator operator in the ill fated FPV Galiano when she took all hands (26 crew plus 1 passenger) to the bottom.  In November 1918 the Galiano was making a supply trip to the various lighthouses and had just stopped at Triangle Island.  A few hours after departing Triangle she foundered in heavy seas and went to the bottom off Cape Saint James.

Nicholson, B.   An employee of the Department of Marine.  He assisted installing a replacement underwater telephone cable to Lennard Island in 1931.  The original had lasted 10 years.
O'Neil, Miss   Was the junior clerk/book keeper at the Victoria HQ in 1923.
Orser, Lee   Operator at Estevan in the late 1940's and early 1950's.  Shifted up to Digby in the late 1950's.  He was a radio technician at the Vancouver Airport in the latter 1960's early 1970's.  Had a preference for Mercedes cars.
Nelson, Lorne   Operator at Digby in 1945

Osborne, Joe   Joe got his license in 1943 and spent a few years up at Digby, Dead Tree, Spring Island and Coppermine NWT before leaving the service.
Palzant, F.A.   1916 era bookkeeper at the Victoria office earning $87/month.  Still on the job in 1923.
Parkin, W. L. (Bill)   Became a telegraphist with the British Post Office in 1902. Joined the wireless service in the 1912 from the British Post Office. Parkin joined the navy in 1916 until 1919.  Served in the HMCS Niobe and at Port Nelson, Manitoba, most of this time. In 1919 to 1924 he pounded brass at Point Grey. He had developed slight deafness and as a result found copying weak signals difficult and as a result was assigned office duties on the station. Parkin resigned from the service in 1924 and worked as a wireless operator for the Powell River Company. He was appointed as the Magistrate at Powell River in 1928 and spent some 30 years on the bench. Photo is from 1923.
Parkins, P.   1918 Estevan Point wireless operator.
Patterson   A person by this name was an operator at Point Grey in the early 1910s.  Patterson is noted in the Aitkens diary as being employed (occupation unknown) at Estevan Point in 1932.
Pattinson, Dick   Dick was at Point Grey before WW2. Was in Ottawa during the war, returning to the BC coast and Alert Bay afterwards. Within a year or two he left and started his own radio servicing business flying in and out of remote coastal camps.  He had his own aircraft and did this for 19 years.
Palzant, F.A.   Book keeper in 1916 for the B.C. branch. Appears on a 1926 pay sheet. He took home $1,638.75 that year.
Pee, H.D.  In October 1916 he moves from Point Grey to Digby Island.
Penny, Fred C.  Fred was a wireless operator in the RCAF during WW2.  After the war he attended Room 19 and upgraded his skills to obtain a first class operator's license, graduating in 1946.  He joined the Department of Transport and was posted to Dead Tree and Digby.  In 1950 he was at the Spring Island Loran station and by 1953 he was operating at Point Grey.  Within a year Fred and family was posted to Bull Harbor.  With an eye to schooling their children he changed from operating at Marine stations and went to Air stations.  He obtained a slot at Prince George airport.  In late 1959 they moved to Penticton aeradio and stayed until retirement in 1987.  (d. 2013)  (Thanks to his son, Brian for this info.)
Pennefather, Pete    Operator at Vancouver Radio in 1964, and was on the Station P weatherships around 1972.
Perkins, L.M.   Other than this signature I know nothing more about Perkins. The signature was in one of the well known Audel's reference books from the old Victoria workshop. From that I can infer he was one of the radio workshop lads.
Petersen, Fred    Merchant vessel radio operator during WW2.  Got a few ships torpedoed out from under him.  Last time was in the Red Sea where he and the rest of the crew spent several days in a lifeboat until pitching up at a British base. Electronics technician at VAI in 1964.  Eventually became the electronic technician supervisor for VAI and air traffic control.  He was a friend of Lofty Harris and via Fred the Lofty Harris photos came into my possession.
Pierce   Operator on the C.P.R. vessel Princess Louise in the early 1920's.
Pike, Armour   In 1960 Pike relieved Hooper as OIC at Digby and probably remained in that position until his retirement in the late 1960's. (email from R. deM.)
Pike, Gerald   Pike came to Canada from the UK in 1924. Pike replaced operator Daniels at Merry Island in 1926. Within three months he was dead from burns received in an accident with his pipe and an uncovered can of gasoline. See the newspaper clipping for the details.
Pike, L.H.  
Pike is noted in the Victoria Times August 31, 1909, as being busy (along with Zimmerman)installing the new wireless station on board the C. P. R. Steamer "Royal". At the time he was an employee of the United Wireless Company.
Raine, Thomas Christer.   Born in England 1873. Trained as a telegrapher with the British Post Office. Raine emigrated from the UK with his wife and Doris, their six year old daughter. He joined as a wireless operator in May 1911 and was broken in at Gonzales Hill. He was then transferred to Point Grey Wireless as the third operator. Since there was no road between Vancouver and the Point Grey Station he spent the first year living at the station in a tent with his family. He shows up in the 1911 census making $625/yr. He was at Estevan in the 1913-14 period. 1916 Dominion accounts have Tommy listed as an operator on the "Galiano" at $60/month. At that post he earned $613.16, perhaps a 10 month posting. 2nd operator (with wife and daughter) at Digby Island in 1916 for a short period of time. September 1930 news item reports he is operating at the Alert Bay station. (In 1926 he took home $1,966.50)
   Raine retired  in October 1938 after 27 years. At that time he was the Officer in Charge of the radio station VAB at the Vancouver Merchants' Exchange.
   After retirement Tommy pounded brass on several vessels, the last being the CPR's S.S. Princess Patricia in 1956. Died 1958.
Read, V.J.  Operator at Estevan radio in June 1942 when the station was shelled. 
Redfern M.T.  
An in-house Department of Transport magazine notes that "the Officer in Charge, M.T. Redfern dropped into the District Office during the week of April 11". It says Redfern was from Estevan and the date is probably in the 1940-50 range.
Redford, Edward (Red) Taylor   Larry Reid's book has him listed on November 05/1923 as an operator. Redford was OIC at Estevan Point in June 1942 when a Japanese submarine lobbed a few shells over their heads. He is easily identified in any photo as he was an amputee, losing one arm in Europe during World War 1.
   Thanks to his grand daughter Amy for sending me a note clearing up his name.
   When Fran Aitkens was at Estevan she found Redford to be a great practical joker and drove his lovely wife Helen crazy with his escapades. For instance, Redford had a trick tin of nuts that was in fact a jack-in-the-box.
Reid, Kenneth   In June of 1946 Reid is a radio inspector in Victoria chasing down some power line interference in Victoria.  Inspectors found the sledge hammer a useful tool in chasing down suspected power line interference.  The vibration set up on the pole by a good whack was often all that was needed to test for a loose connection at the pole top.
Reid, Larry L.   Graduate of Room 19 Operator School in 1938. Rose through the ranks to become a Radio Inspector. In 1989 he published a history of the west coast wireless service for the 20th anniversary of the Federal Communications branch, viewable here.
Reid, Vern J.    Operator at Estevan in June 1942 when the station was shelled.
Restall, Bruce A.   Restall apprenticed in the UK as a machinist, immigrated to Victoria and soon became a journeyman electrician. He went to Seattle in 1914 and passed his U.S. 1st. Class Operator's exam.
   In his spare time he built bits and pieces for amateur radio enthusiasts such as transformers, coils and spark transmitter parts. Restall came to the attention of the Wireless Service by these 'amateur' wireless activities. Using his equipment he would contact ships in the vicinity of Victoria and chat.
   He joined the Navy at the outbreak of World War 1 and set up a radio operator's course. 1917 finds him as the operator in HMCS Rainbow. His rank on January 1918 was RNCVR (Special) W/T operator.
   Larry Reid's book has him listed as a 'radio electrician' with the Radio Workshop in Esquimalt on November 05, 1923. He came under the wing of Haughton, was eventually offered a job and thus spent almost 40 years with the Wireless Service on the Canadian west coast. Take home pay n 1926 was $1,738.50 In 1937 he was an operator at Estevan Point (G.A. diary).
Rickensen, Ted   Met with Howard and Morse in 1908. He was apparently hired as a wireless technician by Howard and helped by installing equipment at the Pachena and Estevan Point Wireless Stations.
Robb, E.   Operator at VAI in 1964.  Unknown if he was posted elsewhere.
Robson, Basil H."Goofy"   Basil was an operator at Alert Bay Radio when Gene (Aitkens) Thomas was visiting her brother Clarence Thomas in 1929.
   Tommy Thomas notes Basil transferred to the CGS Newington after Alert Bay. In 1933 he is listed in Gene's dairy as being in the F.P.V. 'Givinchy'.
   Basil was quite proficient hand colouring photographs.  An example features a Nimkish pole taken at Alert Bay in 1929.  My thanks to S. Brod for sending the image.
   Operator Pattinson, in a note to me remembers Bill Harker (OIC Alert Bay) saying: At the wireless one evening the graveyard operator came on duty and there was no one in the station. He looked around outside and found the operator, Basil Robson, shooting arrows at a target he had set up in the moonlight.
Robinson, David M.  Although not an operator on any of the Canadian coast stations, he was the 20 year old operator on the CPR steamer "Princess Sophia" which struck Vanderbilt reef in the Lynn Canal, Alaska.  The vessel had departed Skagway, Alaska bound for Victoria loaded with passengers escaping 'freeze up' in the Yukon gold fields.  Early in the morning of October 24, 1918 she "dry docked herself" upright on the reef, slipped off and sank the following night.  Gale force winds, blowing snow, and reduced visibility kept the rescue vessels away.  There were no survivors out of the 260 crew and passengers.  Robinson handled a lot of message traffic in those 24 hours.  Born in Glasgow.
Roche P.    He worked as a rigger installing masts and antennas at Triangle Island with engineer Stephenson shortly after 1912. The two of them witnessed a storm, strong enough to bulge in the dwelling windows. Roche also worked as an operator at Triangle Island, leaving in 1914 for Digby Island. On the payroll as a rigger in 1916 earning $1020. Roche worked only a few years as a rigger before passing away from pneumonia.
Rush, Walter A.   Rush was a former Marconi employee and assistant to C.P. Edwards, Superintendent of the Service from 1919 and controller at the Department of Transport until the end of World War II. (Thanks to Laval for this info.)
Ryan, Bill   Operator at the Vancouver Japanese code intercept station during World War 2.
Rogers, J   Electronics technician at VAI in 1964.
Rogers, William Leslie  Operator at VAI in 1955  (Victoria Times)
Robertson, Robbie   Estevan OIC in 1958.
Robson, A.(Bert) H.   Bert served a three year apprenticeship with a pharmacy at English Bay.  His boss had a telegraph office within the pharmacy and Bert became interested in telegraphy, took a course and became certified.  Joined the wireless service as an operator in 1912 and posted to Point Gray.  He then went on to Cape Lazo and Estevan.  In 1916 he joined the Grand Trunk Pacific S.S. company as a waiter and worked his way up to being a purser for 40 years.  Retired in April 1955 at age 63.
Robertson, A.   Operator at VAI in 1964.
Robertson, A. Stuart.   District accountant for 17 years. In 1916 his salary was $1312.47 and by 1926 it was $2,251.50. Born in Montreal in 1865 and passed away in 1940 some seven years after retirement.
Robertson, J.W.H.   Robertson's name appears on the Alert Bay Radio's 1933 Christmas card along with three other names.
Robertson, Robbie   Robbie was the last operator in charge at Estevan before the relocation to Tofino Airport.